1/20/10

What once was fun....

How does the saying go....what glitters isn't always gold? I don't know, something like that, well what once was fun and exciting definitely devolps a gray film over it making it dull and bland. Finding yourself in a rut in a restaurant is fast and easy. The shine loses its sparkle once the food stains and hamburger stench start to set in, not to mention the stench and stains of flaws in what once was great. Working in a diner guarantees 1 thing always: old people and young children. Old people are not so fun because most of them like to talk your ear off and reminisce about the "old days" which also includes when fifty cents was alot of money, (yea grandma, it doesn't quite translate into a new shirt nowadays), and lots of stories. My favorite stories are how I remind them in someway of their granddaughter, daughter, niece, or sometimes evan younger sister who passed away. Not to say that those stories aren't sometimes fun to hear, and I don't mind giving someone the opportunity to reflect upon their long life and remember happier times.....but come on now. When you see me carrying a tray full of plates and a drink in my hand.... I gotta tell ya, that's probably not the best time to start in on that memory, ya know? I believe old age compromises that little voice inside one's head telling you when is a good time to start into a ten minute flashback, and when it's not a good time. Or how about if I'm rushing from table to table and I stop by just to check on you and make sure you dont need anything like a soda or napkins? If I'm actually slowly walking away while you're talking, please take that as a hint to wrap it up, the question wasnt: "Are you ok? Do you need anything? Refill, napkins, or perhaps to reflect upon that time you and your younger sister were playing hide and seek and she got lost for 3 hours and it was the funniest thing, and that reminds you of....." Subtle hints....they're called subtle hints...somebody walking away while you're talking is definitely one of them ;). The worst part is most of the time they're so sweet so you can't really get mad at them, just smile and listen and when they're done...run like the wind to what you have to do next.

Children....my..oh...my......

2 comments:

  1. I can definetly relate to your statement there, because for some reason I get that same scenerio when I'm riding the lynx transportation system or walking in a nieghborhood. People just take it upon themselves to either stop me, sit with me or walk with me and strick up a conversation. Now, this erks me to the highiest level because i am a private person, but being the gentleman in me allows them to speak thier mind even if i'm not interested. I have been told all the time that I just have that friendly face, I'm told this over and over. Doesn't seem to work in other area's, in other words doesn't get me many women, just storys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so funny!!

    i can still picture u in ur poodle skirt, lol ahhhh the good old days!

    ROFLOL yes people talking ur ear off while u r running from table to table i know the feeling. LOL then they act like ur BFF and they leave you a 10% tip, basterds, dont talk to me like ur my BFF w/out tiping 20% give me a break.

    ReplyDelete