Starting out my "career" as a server was by accident. I was trying to go away with a friend after graduating from high school, and didn't have any money and she told me that one of the 24 hour breakfast spots was hiring. Being young and eager I decided why not a job is a job I guess. I put in the application, and while waiting to hear back from them, I found out that a diner was also hiring so I went ahead and put in an application there. Well I got a call from both places, but decided that donning a poodle skirt would be much cooler and more fun than slingin pancakes overnight. Turns out that this diner also had a theater attached to it...Awesome! This place just kept getting better and better, a theater right next door, poodle skirts and bowling shirts and saddle shoes(love it!), fifties dj, ice cream girls and even vintage car shows on certain nights. I went through the training of learning the menu and perfecting writing my made up cool fifties name on the paper table covering, carrying trays and entering orders in the POS system. In the beginning serving was fun, dancing around the tables, playing with the kids, doing the bunny hop...then the reality set in that serving is not all fun and chicken dances.
Serving is opinionated, demanding, rude, power hungry people.....and I'm not just talking about the customers!
1/19/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
In actuality, that scenerio is the same with any job that doesn't challenge you daily. I felt the same way while working customer service with the timeshare company, benefits were great, co-workers ok, but most other customers sucked with thier attitudes and request. I understand clearly what you mean.
ReplyDelete